Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate we earn advertising fees from qualifying purchases. learn more.
One of the best ways to protect your livestock and domestic animals in an enclosed space is to get a safe electric fence.
The only problem is that having a fence in a remote location means you won’t have easy access to an AC outlet to keep the fence charged. Your animals may also not be contained in case of a power outage or blackout, which is why you need to invest in a solar fence charger.
The best solar fence charger should be easy to install, have an excellent battery life, and be UL/CSA listed. After testing different Solar electric fence chargers available on the market, we believe the best solar fence chargers are Zareba ESP2M-Z, Zareba ESP10M-Z, Gallagher North America S100, and Parmak Solar Fence Charger. You can choose one of these based on your requirements. We have also included some other great options to choose from. Here’s a list of top Solar-powered fence charges.
Read on to learn more about the best solar electric fence chargers and their specs. We also give you tips on what to look for when buying a solar electric fence charger.
Topics Covered ⬇⬇
- 1. Zareba ES2M-Z 2-Mile Solar Fence Charger
- 2. Parmak Magnum Solar-Pak Electric Fence Charger
- 3. Zareba ESP10M-Z Solar Fence Charger
- 4. Parmak DF-SP-LI Solar Pak Low Impedance
- 5. FI-Shock ESP2M-Mile Solar-Powered Electric Fence Charger
- 6. Red SNAP’R ESP6V-RSS Solar Fence Charger
- 7. Gallagher S100 Solar Fence Charger
- 8. Patriot SolarGuard Solar Fence Energizer
- 9. Premier 1 Solar Intellishock Fence Energizer Kit
- Solar Electric Fence Chargers: Everything You Need to Know
- What Is a Solar Electric Fence Charger?
- How Does a Solar Fence Charger Work?
- Benefits of Solar Electric Fence Chargers
- Disadvantages of Solar-Powered Electric Fence Chargers
- Solar-Powered Electric Fence Charger Buyers Guide
1. Zareba ES2M-Z 2-Mile Solar Fence Charger
|Name||Zareba ES2M-Z 2-Mile Solar Fence Charger|
|Max Output||0.04 joule|
|Weight||2 pounds (0.91 kg)|
|Dimensions||6.41 x 9.97 x 11.14 inches (16.3 x 25.3 x 28.3 cm|
Pros of Zareba ES2M-Z
- Durable and features damage-resistant construction
- Lightweight and portable
- Features a 4-bolt rechargeable battery
- Comes with the inbuilt mound and handle
Cons of Zareba ES2M-Z
- Affected by weather conditions
Zareba is famous for its electric fence chargers, and the ESP2M-Z 2-Mile Solar Low Impedance Electric Fence Charger is ideal when you’re dealing with small pets and animals. One impressive aspect is the device’s energy efficiency and eco-friendly nature.
The unit uses energy from the sun to ensure the animals(goats, cows, horses) are kept under control. That makes it perfect if you don’t have access to the primary electric grid. You also don’t have to worry about electricity bills.
You also get to power up to two miles of fence. The best part is that this solar electric fence charger can be used for various fences like poly wire, aluminum, poly tape, and steel. It’s also simple to mount as it comes with an inbuilt mound that fits Y-posts, T-posts, flat surfaces, and round posts.
Unlike other solar fence chargers, the Zareba solar fence charger features low impedance technology. That makes it suitable when dealing with an area with plenty of weed or remote areas where the battery would drain fast. This technology also ensures you don’t deal with shorts if the fence comes in contact with weeds.
Its lightweight nature means you can carry it to any place you want. Furthermore, the outdoor model is simple to install. The manufacturer provides a 2-year warranty that covers any damage caused by lighting. You also get a one-year warranty for the 12v battery. On the downside, the solar fence charger experiences inefficiency when sunlight is limited as the weather conditions affect charging.
2. Parmak Magnum Solar-Pak Electric Fence Charger
|Name||Parmak Magnum Solar-Pak Fence Charger|
|Max Output||3.1 joules|
|Weight||24 pounds (10.89 kg)|
|Dimensions||21 x 17 x 11 inches (53.3 x 43.2 x 27.9 cm)|
Pros of Parmak Magnum Solar-Pak
- Comes with a 12V rechargeable battery
- Durable and low impedance
- Suitable for huge pastures
- Portable and waterproof
Cons of Parmak Magnum Solar-Pak
- Some users had repair issues
If keeping animals away or containing your livestock is the goal, you need to get the Parmak Magnum Solar-Pak fence charger. One impressive feature is its ability to reach up to 30 miles. That makes it powerful, especially when you have a vast area to cover.
You also get to save power as the charger uses the sun’s energy during the day, and the battery powers the solar fence charger in the evening. Being a 12-Solar Pak model means you won’t have to waste time and money recharging the battery.
Moreover, this solar fence charger produces 3.1 joules, which allows it to cover up to 30 miles. Sometimes you may be dealing with rough outdoor conditions. Fortunately, with the Magnum Solar-Pak fence charger, you won’t have to worry about getting damaged as it’s made from waterproof materials.
Controlling livestock (Horses, Cows) and other smaller animals can be challenging. These animals like to stroll around and can cross to the neighboring surroundings. If you’re looking to secure your garden and protect your animals from wandering into restricted areas, you need a quality solar charger.
Unfortunately, the Parmak Magnum Solar-Pak is costly and may not be the best option for looking for a solar fence charger on a budget.
3. Zareba ESP10M-Z Solar Fence Charger
|Name||Zareba ESP10M-Z Solar Fence Charger|
|Max Output||0.15 Output Joules|
|Weight||4.11 pounds (1.86 kg)|
|Dimensions||11.5 x 8 x 11.25 inches (29.2 x 20.3 x 28.6 cm)|
The Zareba ESP10M-Z-Mile Solar Fence Charger is a top-rated product that you’ll love, featuring a six-volt battery; the solar charger manufactures 1.5 joules of energy that you can use to power ten miles of an electric fence. Moreover, the fence charger can store enough ability to keep the wall functional when it’s not cold.
The charger has an inbuilt indicator light that shows you when the fence is being charged properly. Its low impedance feature ensures the battery doesn’t drain any energy when the face comes in contact with vegetation. The four-volt battery is rechargeable.
Find the integrated mounts that allow quick and straightforward installation on T-post, round wood posts, and Y-posts. You don’t need to be an expert to use this charger. The Zareba Solar Fence Charger also has a one-year warranty covering any lightning damage. You’ll find this device portable, cost-effective, and durable.
Pros of Zareba ESP10M-Z Solar Fence Charger
- Energy-efficient and straightforward to install
- Low impedance
- Works for any type of fence
- It can charge ten miles of electric fence
- Suitable for different sizes of animals
- Comes with a one-year warranty to cover damages caused by lightning
Cons of Zareba ESP10M-Z Solar Fence Charger
- Has limited range compared to other solar fence chargers
4. Parmak DF-SP-LI Solar Pak Low Impedance
|Name||Parmak DF-SP-LI Solar Pak Low Impedance|
|Cell Type||Lithium-ion battery|
|Max Output||1.4 Joules|
|Weight||11.33 pounds (5.14 kg)|
|Dimensions||17 x 8 x 13 inches (43.2 x 20.3 x 33.02 cm)|
Pros of Parmak DF-SP-L
- Comes with an inbuilt performance meter
- Charges close to 25 miles of fencing
- Can handle cold temperatures
- Has strong shocking power
- Durable components
- Comes with a three-year manufacturer’s warranty
Cons of Parmak DF-SP-L
- Some people found the charger challenging to install
Parmak Electric Fence charger doesn’t disappoint when it comes to performance. The DF-SP-LI model can power a fence within a distance of 25 miles, which makes it ideal for someone with a small to medium-sized property. The unit gets its power from an efficient solar panel that produces lots of energy. You can power the fence during the day while charging the battery.
The solar fence charger comes with a 6V battery to power the lines. Although this is not as powerful, it still offers many charges and can run for 21 days without charge. Find an inbuilt meter that shows you the status of the fence. You’ll know if there is a problem as the meter indicates any present issues.
Apart from its low impedance technology, this charger features a durable design and can be used outdoors. The metal exterior keeps the internal parts covered and is ideal for most weather conditions.
On the downside, the Parmak DF-SP-LI Solar Pak is more challenging to install.
5. FI-Shock ESP2M-Mile Solar-Powered Electric Fence Charger
|Name||FI-Shock ESP2M-Mile Solar-Powered Electric Fence Charger|
|Cell Type||Rechargeable Battery|
|Max Output||0.04 joules|
|Weight||3.42 pounds (1.55 kg)|
|Product Dimensions||6.41 x 9.97 x 11.14 inches (16.3 x 25.3 x 29 cm)|
Whether you are looking for fencing equipment for your farm or property, Fi-Shock has something for you. The trusted brand is famous for its user-friendly quality products. The solar-powered electric fence charger is ideal when you need to control domestic animals.
Its range capacity can power up to two miles of electric fence with its 4-volt lead-acid battery. The best part is that this fence charger is compatible with various walls like poly rope, aluminum, steel, and poly wires.
The manufacturer adds low impedance technology to reduce battery drainage and ensure the charger doesn’t get short circuits when it comes in contact with weeds. There’s also a one-year warranty that covers damages caused by lightning.
Pros of FI-Shock ESP2M-Mile Solar-Powered Electric Fence Charger
- Comes with replacement parts that are easy to find
- Simple to install
- Has an indicator light that shows when the fence is energized
- Durable construction
Cons of FI-Shock ESP2M-Mile Solar-Powered Electric Fence Charger
- The shock isn’t as strong
- Covers only a two-mile maximum range
- The inbuilt batteries are not long-lasting
6. Red SNAP’R ESP6V-RSS Solar Fence Charger
|Name||Red Snap’r Solar Fence Charger|
|Cell Type||Lithium Battery|
|Max Output||0.2 joules|
|Weight||1.08 pounds (0.49 kg)|
|Dimensions||20.3 x 18.2 x 18.2 inches (51.6 x 46.2 x 46.2 cm)|
The Red Snap’r Solar Fence Charger boasts a 100% steel case, making it ideal for all weather conditions. You can power a fence of up to 15 miles or 30 acres, thanks to the 6V battery with 0.2-joule output.
The unit also comes with an indicator light that shows you whether the unit is functional or not. You can use this fence charger on different fences like aluminum and steel fences. The solar charger is simple to install as you can use the inbuilt mound that fits T-posts, round posts, and flat surfaces.
You’ll love the inbuilt handle that makes portability a breeze. The manufacturer also adds a one-year warranty to cover lightning damage.
Pros of Red SNAP’R Solar Fence Charger
- Comes with a 100% steel case
- Covers up to 15 miles of fence
- Features a powerful 6V battery
- Fast and easy installation
- Comes with damage-resistant construction
Cons of Red SNAP’R Solar Fence Charger
- Doesn’t cover a large fence area compared to other fence chargers
7. Gallagher S100 Solar Fence Charger
|Name||Gallagher S10 Solar Fence Charger|
|Max Output||0.08 joules|
|Weight||4.59 pounds (2.08 kg)|
|Dimensions||7 x 9 x 10.5 inches (17.8 x 22.9 x 26.7 cm)|
The Gallagher S10 Solar Fence Charger should be on your list if you’re looking for an efficient and powerful charger to contain your livestock or pets. Unlike some chargers that only cover a few miles, the Galler can cover up to 15 acres of a single wire fence without vegetation. The best thing is that you can use this product for garden protection apart from animal protection.
The manufacturer adds a rugged and waterproof casing that makes this device tough and durable when using it for outdoor applications. Find the integrated lighting protection that also makes it easier to use the charger and makes it long-lasting.
There’s also a 360-degree mounting on steel posts that lets you position it close to the sunlight. Another outstanding feature is the integrated lightning diverter that you won’t find on other products. Its low impedance power stands at 1.0 joule, which means you can rest knowing that the animals are safe even when they come near the fence.
Unfortunately, you’ll realize that the charger takes longer to charge and work, especially on cloudy and rainy days.
Pros of Gallagher S100 Solar Fence Charger
- Rugged build and waterproof
- Can cover fences for up to 30 miles
- Lightweight and portable
- Has low impedance power
- Features an inbuilt battery and solar panel
Cons of Gallagher S100 Solar Fence Charger
- Can charge slowly during lousy weather
8. Patriot SolarGuard Solar Fence Energizer
|Name||Patriot Solarguard Fence Energizer|
|Cell Type||Lead Acid Battery|
|Max Output||0.15 joule|
|Weight||12 pounds (5.44 kg)|
|Dimensions||15 x 12 x 8 inches (38.1 x 30.5 x 20.3 cm)|
The Patriot Solarguard Fence Energizer is a quality fence charger designed to help you prevent the livestock from straying away. This fence is beneficial for anyone with a small farm, as it can cover up to 1.2 miles, which is equivalent to 2km.
Its portable nature means you can carry it around in remote areas. You can opt to place it on wood posts or T-posts, depending on your preferences. It’s also simple to install. The Patriot Solarguard Fence Energizer can produce 0.15-joule output at 2,000 ohms with a voltage output that can supply 5.4KV. This fence is ideal for securing farm animals, dogs, and horses.
The manufacturer also adds a battery and solar panel, which helps you save money on electricity bills. Moreover, the solar panel stores the generated energy in the battery to ensure the electric fence lasts as long as 21 days. The product comes with a two-year warranty in case of any issues after purchase.
On the downside, the Patriot Solarguard has less range acreage, which limits it when you have a big farm you’d like to fence.
Pros of Patriot SolarGuard Solar Fence Energizer
- Ideal for average-sized livestock farm
- Has an intelligent battery management system
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
Cons of Patriot SolarGuard Solar Fence Energizer
- Not suitable for large farms
9. Premier 1 Solar Intellishock Fence Energizer Kit
|Name||The Premier 1 Solar Intellishock Fence Energizer Kit|
|Cell Type||Lead-acid battery|
|Max Output||1.2 joules|
|Weight||26 pounds (11.80 kg)|
The Premier 1 Solar Intellishock Fence Energizer Kit produces 0.60 joule, which is enough to guard livestock like lurk outside the barn. Being a solar-powered device means you never have to worry about utility bills or maintenance performance.
Find a 12V sealed lead acid battery that supplies power to the device once the solar power runs out. When positioned and recharged correctly, the battery can last up to four years. Furthermore, the battery can energize a roll of netting for five tolls.
The Intellishock fence energizer can reduce energy demand when the voltage gets high. You should get this excellent kit if you’re looking for increased life during prolonged periods with low sunlight. The manufacturer includes a 2-year warranty to cover defective artistry or parts. There’s also a 30-day warranty for all batteries.
Pros of Premier 1 Solar Intellishock Fence Energizer Kit
- Portable unit that is easy to carry around
- Can reduce energy demand when the voltage is high
- Simple to adjust for seasonal light availability
- Compact unit with little wiring
Cons of Premier 1 Solar Intellishock Fence Energizer Kit
- Some users found it didn’t work during the rainy season
- solar panel
- types of Solar Panels
- are solar panels worth it?
- How long Do solar lights last?
- Step by Step Guide to Clean solar panels
Best Renewable Appliances.
- Best Solar Deck Lights
- Best Solar Fence Lights
- Best Solar Pool Heaters Review
- Best Vertical Axis Wind Turbines
- Best Flexible Solar Panels For RV
- Best Solar Attic Fans
- Best Solar String Lights
- Best Solar Tubes
Solar Electric Fence Chargers: Everything You Need to Know
Nothing is as frustrating as dealing with uninvited animals that invade your space and destroy your yard or property.
Whether you want to keep the animals away or secure your animals from going to your neighbor’s property, you need to invest in a quality solar fence charger.
Below we take a look at what a solar fence charger is, how it works, and give tips on choosing one.
What Is a Solar Electric Fence Charger?
A solar fence charger gives an electric current that goes through and runs down the fence wire. The charger helps to prevent animals from going out and from coming in. The solar aspect ensures that you don’t have to deal with power failures and blackouts if the electricity goes off. Solar fence chargers are standard among the farmers who need to control their livestock and protect them from wild animals. More homeowners are beginning to use the fence charger to enhance their home’s security. A few models come with additional security features.
How Does a Solar Fence Charger Work?
A solar fence charger provides an electrical pulse or shock when a person or animal touches it. The current feels like a short burst of pain throughout the body without causing any physical damage. There are five main components of a solar fence charger.
- The solar panel is the first element that collects and converts solar power into electricity.
- The regulator is the other part that you connect to the solar panel to regulate the electricity amount that flows into the battery. That prevents the battery from undercharging or overcharging.
- The battery is the next component that stores the converted energy. It determines the longevity of the solar fence charger.
- The energizer gets its power from the battery and distributes it to the entire fence. Energizer sizes vary depending on the area you’re planning to fence. A solar fence charger needs to be grounded and stable for it to work correctly.
- Grounding is the final component that keeps the charger stable and enhances the user’s safety.
Benefits of Solar Electric Fence Chargers
Investing in a quality solar fence charger takes commitment. As a farmer or homeowner, you need to understand what you are purchasing to determine if it will meet your needs. Here are some benefits of getting a solar-powered electric fence charger
Solar Electric fence chargers are an eco-friendly solution to secure your property and prevent your livestock from going out. These chargers use solar energy to operate, which means you get a clean and renewable energy source, unlike electric fence chargers. A solar fence charger has less impact on the environment and helps to reduce your carbon footprint.
Another advantage of solar fence chargers is that they don’t depend on electricity to deliver the required current. Electric fence chargers need electricity to get this current. The required amount can be substantial and costly, adding up to your utility bills.
Solar fence chargers provide an affordable solution as they rely on solar power. That means you get to save on electricity bills and other operational costs. Furthermore, you get a chance to go off the grid with solar fence chargers as they don’t rely on electricity.
You don’t have to go all the way out to secure your livestock. Solar fence chargers provide a convenient way to keep your livestock in and prevent wild animals from accessing your property.
Works for Remote and Big Properties
Whether you live in a remote area or have some considerable property to protect, solar fence chargers provide an effective yet affordable way to secure your property and livestock from intruders. Individuals in remote areas will love the solar fence charger, especially if they are far from electricity access. You also won’t need to install power lines to connect the charger to the grid.
Extra Security Measures
You can use a solar fence charger to prevent intruders from getting into your property. Anyone who attempts to touch the fence will get an electrical shock and won’t bother to enter your premises.
Disadvantages of Solar-Powered Electric Fence Chargers
Some of the drawbacks of using a solar fence charger are:
- The technology relies on good weather: Solar fence chargers depend on the sun’s energy. That means it won’t function well when the weather changes to cloudy or windy.
- Can be expensive: Although a solar fence charger can be cost-effective in the long run, the setup package’s initial cost can be prohibitive for people on a budget. The best part is that you won’t have other expenses to deal with, and you won’t need to hire an electrician as there’s not much wiring involved.
Solar-Powered Electric Fence Charger Buyers Guide
Solar fence chargers are helpful and provide an affordable way to keep intruders and wild animals out. Picking one from the various models and types available in the market can be frustrating. We understand that making a purchase can be challenging, so we created this detailed buyer’s guide to help you make the best decision.
Here are a few tips to get started.
Determine the Type of Solar Fence Charger to Get
Solar fence chargers are available in three types. These include:
- Continuous output fence chargers: Continuous output fence chargers are ideal for dairy stalls or small areas. This charger provides a continuous and steady charge on wires, meaning all wires are charged all the time. Unfortunately, this type of fence charger isn’t suitable if you have children or pets. Moreover, continuous fence chargers use more power as they need to charge frequently.
- Solid-state fence chargers: Solid-state fence chargers are highly recommended for livestock protection as they deliver a medium voltage. These fence chargers provide shocks in a medium duration and don’t use as much power. You can use this solar fence charger with an aluminum or steel structure.
- Low impedance chargers: Low impedance technology charger has low charger resistance, which results in extra power flow through the fence and pulses of high voltage. The low impedance technology charger works best for animals like cattle. These chargers also provide power despite weeds kicking their way.
Check the Battery Life
You should never skimp on battery life when choosing a solar fence charger. Although this may not be as important during summer, you’ll need a device that can hold enough power in wintertime.
Determine the Voltage Requirements
Voltage is a critical feature to consider when purchasing a solar fence charger. That’s because these fence chargers transmit electrical pulses that rely on the voltage. The voltage you choose depends on the intruder and the type of animal you need to keep out.
If you’re keeping out big animals or humans from your farm or property, a 5000 volts fence charger will be ideal, depending on the fence design and type. A voltage of 3,000-4,000 is perfect for bulls, while medium-sized animals like horses and cows need a solar fence charger with at least 2000 volts.
Decide on the Range Capacity
You don’t want a solar fence energizer that underperforms. That is why you need to get a fence charger within the right range capacity to ensure it performs as expected. Note that range capacity will depend on the length of your fence and the wires it has.
Find a Model with U/L or CSA Listing
A solar fence charger with U/L or CSA listing proves that the authorities have tested the products and it’s safe to use. The listing also guarantees that the set quality standards have been maintained throughout the manufacturing process.
Don’t Forget Portability and Flexibility.
Portability and flexibility are critical factors to have when purchasing a solar fence charger, especially if you’re planning on moving the charger from one place to another. The lighter the charger, the more portable it is. However, be careful not to compromise on durability as you choose a portable unit.
Choose a Unit Designed to Withstand Harsh Weather Conditions
You can’t predict the weather conditions, so you need to invest in a quality fence energizer that can withstand any weather. Find a device with a weather-resistance case to protect the life of your solar fence charger.
Make Sure There Is Ease of Installation
The best solar fence charger needs to be fast and straightforward to install, allowing you to move the device around, install/reinstall it when needed, and save you time and energy.
Getting a quality solar fence charger isn’t complicated. All you need is to find something within your voltage range, check the battery life, and a device that can withstand any weather condition. Our top 10 list has some of the best solar fence chargers based on the features you need and your budget.
- Greenblog.org: Choosing a Solar Powered Fence Charger
- Gallagher.com: Is Solar Powered Fence Charger Right For You?
- Solar Power
- Fence Charger
- Electric Charger